Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ribbons and Bows

As I painstakingly stitched the pretty satin pink shoes, I remember my mother.

I remember her because I realize that my daughter will not understand for many years the love with which I was sewing...that the tenderness in my fingers carried to my heart.

I know because my mother lovingly stitched dresses just for me. As a little girl, I loved the beautiful dresses that that made me feel like a princess.

Only years later, would I really appreciate the hum of the sewing machine late into the night, but as a little girl, I would drift off to the comforting hum, dreaming of my new dress. The hours and hours that it took to create the masterpiece is understood now. A labor of love.

My mother sews beautifully. She is an artist with fabric and thread. I loved exploring the fabric stores with her because she would take a piece of fabric I hadn't even noticed and transform it into something amazing. I learned to embrace my creativity by watching her.

Sewing is hard work. My mother patiently taught me to sew. She guided me and challenged me, as I uncovered the art of sewing. A gift that I will always have because I can sew well. Though I cannot tailor the fit like she can, but I am practicing.

The aforementioned ballet shoes require satin ribbons and elastic to be hand-stitched to withstand intense use without fraying and falling off. Of course, I had to experience a few failures and ask myself what mom would do before I discovered the best pattern for my stitches.

Affectionately, I tell Kiahra I am going to teach her "grandma's way".

1 comment: