She was the star of the classroom this week.
On Monday night, as she filled out her star poster I watched.
When_________________________grows up ______________wants to be a _______________________.
As she inserted her name and pronoun without hesitation, I waited.
Then I asked, "What do you want to be?"
I was worried, as she was already writing. Her big eyes looked up at me, her head tilted, and with a confident shrug, she answered, "A mom just like you."
My heart melted...completely.
Then I tried to talk her into choosing an occupation. I was worried that our culture would look down on her choice, as one can be a mother...and__________________________.
I know I said this, but it has been nagging me because I am not sure I did the right thing.
I hope I didn't damage her sweet perspective. I hope that she survives my good intentions, as I really did not want her to be taunted at school. I hope she is a mom who stays home just like me...if she wants to be.
I hope one of these days I too can say with confidence, "I am a stay-at-home mother." No explanations. No justification. And know that it works for our family...with the same pride my little girl has in me.
Friday, November 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is terrible how society has to be at one extreme or another. Just a few decades ago women had to fight to not be shunned for going to work, now we are shunned for not working.
ReplyDeleteI believe being at home and running a family is honorable, as it shows the family is your priority over societal norms, over money.
Hopefully when your daughter is grown her generation will embrace either choice as legitimate.
In the meantime, the best job review you could receive is for her to want to be just like you :)
I love her for that! I struggle with the "what do you do" question it all the time. She will be great at whatever she chooses... having a stay at home mom gives her an edge;) xoxo
ReplyDelete