From my back deck, I gaze out into my woods, and the majestic beauty of Pennsylvanian autumn takes my breath away. My eyes drink in the diverse color and rich textures of leaves after our first frost. The vibrancy of fall renews my spirit. It flutters in the gentle breeze of the crisp, cool morning. Each day is a surprise.
Autumn is a season of change. Sometimes folks express their discontent with fall as everything begins to die, but I disagree. It is certainly a change, but before those leaves fall they go out in a blaze of glory. I hope I can live life with such vibrancy. After birth and growth, each leaf finds its own personality and transforms itself into bold beauty. Each leaf is unique. As I gaze at them I can see the personalities of my children. I hope they dance with courage on the limb in breathtaking beauty.
Speaking of dancing on the limb, Nikela gracefully navigated her soccer game on Sunday against the autumn backdrop. As I watch her play soccer, I not only see her skill, but the beauty surrounding her...inside and out. We share the magical the moments of love and laughter with her as treasures, drawing them close to our hearts like a blanket on a cool evening. Whether it is a clumsy mishap or mastery of a challenging musical piece, it evokes love and celebration of life.
As I gaze out the window,
I reflect on my nostalgia for the season this year, as Ron prepares to celebrate his 40th birthday next month. Just a few years ago we were in our early twenties :) full of life, hope, optomism...and the rashness of youth trying to flutter ahead in the breeze of life. Soon we rolled into thirty and paused a bit more often...and knew less. Now as we gaze at forty, we are humbled by life and enjoy the precious moments with our family realizing that somehow twenty years have escaped us, and while we have trod the path of life with zest and love looking ahead to the future, we now continue down the path more apt to enjoy the scenery and vibrancy of life rather than straining to see down the road.
Note: For visual eye candy double click on the photos.
Just when I was feeling a little chilly... you managed to warm me up on the whole fall thing again. I could sure use those kids in our yard right now (it's looking awfully large)!
ReplyDelete