As we wound through the redwoods, I felt my anticipation rise as my metropolitan lifestyle drifted away. We emerged from the coastal mountain to be greeted by the sun dancing on the ocean--creating a sparkling jewel. When we finally stopped, we were at the end of the road, literally, at a campground bordering an ocean inlet/creek.
The forest height is impressive as the trees jut into the sky--taller than any other forest I have seen.
The harbor seals were basking in the sun on the rock and dock when the tide was high. As the tide drifted back out again, they would disappear.
Then the herons would stand in the river--picturesquely, but waiting patiently for dinner. In the blink of an eye the long neck would dart beneath the surface and the beak would emerge holding a fish.
My intrepid photographer tried to capture the elusive bird. His curiosity took him down the trail until he found their destination--high in the tree tops (look closely and click on photos to enlarge).
As he studied the tree tops, he suddenly realized that there were many nests nearby! Evidently they are social birds that flock together.
At dusk, their voices came alive. The one in the nest would call out--and in Ron’s version, she was scolding in the barrage of squawking...”Where are you? The kids are hungry? Hurry!” Then the heron in the water would merely call out once loud and clear. Late into the night we could hear their calls. Though for the record, I did discover that the male and female take turns tending the nest and gathering food! So perhaps, it may have been the male squawking...
Birdwatching would have elicited bored yawns from me in years gone by, but in this setting I was intrigued and ready to embrace the experience. At dawn I found the heron standing with a perfect mirror reflection in the water in the dawning light. Stunned, I just stood and watched her. When I reached for my camera, she took flight. Definitely shy birds!
Disclaimer: Many camping adventure posts to follow frequently!
this is a beautiful place to celebrate your birthday seestar!! Love you
ReplyDelete