As my cadet stood atop one of the Santa Cruz mountains, I watched the morning sun come up over the glistening San Francisco Bay with the city skyline outlined in the distance.
I squinted in the bright rays, as I watched her stand at attention patiently and listened to the barking orders. My emotions were a cocktail--partially proud and partially worried what the day would hold.
As I breathed in the morning air, I noticed a quietness in her face that not all cadets had. It was in that glaring light I realized that my cadet had done this before. Relocation bootcamp has been brutal through the years. Just stare straight ahead and move through the day with hope that it will eventually get better.
As I reluctantly walked away, I knew in my heart she would be fine.
11 hours later at the end of the day, I watched as she dropped for push-ups with her comrades. Exhausted, she waited in position for all the cadets to be in proper position. The grueling day showed in her first push-up, but she quickly regained her strength and persevered. The final whistle blew and the cadets were dismissed.
A few minutes later I watched her smiling and chatting with a reporter.
Nine more weeks to go.
Monday, September 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go Nikela!! I am so proud of her!! What an honor... Xoxo
ReplyDelete