
My boy scout is at the Golden Gate National Cemetery this morning decorating the 161 acres in honor of the men and women who served our country. My grandfather would be proud. He never served in the armed forces, but he was adamant about respecting those who did. He always paused on Memorial Day to remember.
Though he also remembered everyday as he raised the American flag that always welcomed us as we pulled into the farm. Those childhood memories make this picture of the farm my favorite. It reminds me to pause and remember, so today I gaze at my wall and remember...
The man who constantly reminded me to be thankful for the men and women who served and those that sacrificed all. Bittersweet gratitude floods my heart at the memories of my grandfather, the servicemen and servicewomen I knew and those I didn't, and the "kids" who I watched grow up in my classroom that today are serving around the world.
My heart holds each and everyone so tightly it aches, and yet I smile with thankfulness.
No comments:
Post a Comment