Friday, March 23, 2012

Indomitable Spirit

The late afternoon sun was warm, but the cool bay breeze trumped as Chayse and I huddled together at the track meet. Absentmindedly, I scanned the field pausing to watch the different events, when I noticed a few kids were approaching the finish line nearby. I watched as the leaders crossed the line followed by others merely seconds behind. Then a coach quietly commented, "We have one more..." I turned to look for the final runner as did everyone else. A young man was cruising along with incredible proficiency, maneuvering his legs with the support of his walker at incredible speed. As he passed, the stands erupted, every coach paused to clap and follow his progress, and the most beautiful moment was watching his peers from every team cheer with all their hearts. As he neared the finish line, his momentum never wavered. He crossed the finish line and his smile spread across his face like a full rainbow in all its beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment