For the past two school years, I have been driving my life away. Generally, I leave at 6:30 AM to deliver my oldest to the high school by 7 AM--unless it is a day she starts at 8 AM then I must leave at 7 AM to be able to return home to pick up the rest of the kids by 7:55 AM. Five to six lanes of freeway traffic gets ugly around here quickly. Anyway, then I go to the junior high and circle around my suburb to the elementary school. I am usually home again by 8:30 AM.
And it doesn't get better after school...
Thus I have been dreaming of the day when my oldest could drive herself.
Until today.
She drove to school this morning, as usual. I sat in the passenger seat, as usual. We chatted, as usual.
She is scheduled to take her driving test next week.
Suddenly, I realized our usual time together is going to be gone when she pulls out of the driveway by herself.
And I find myself feeling a bit like I did when she anxiously boarded the bus to kindergarten, and I stood watching...lingering...pausing at the bittersweet moment knowing my little girl would no longer be home with me all day.
The moment I thought I was anticipating with great joy is making my heart ache.
Just a few more days to treasure our morning ride...
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck NIkela!!!
ReplyDelete