I have a hard time letting go. My oldest daughter had her driver's license for four days before I would let her drive by herself. And then (if I am honest) it was only because I was leaving and she needed to get to school without making it more complicated for the world...
Ron and I boarded a plane this weekend without the kids for a Montana wedding. I planned and organized for weeks trying to make sure everything would be okay without me. Ten years ago my sister watched the kids overnight for our anniversary. Then she stepped up to the plate again for the interview in Pittsburgh four years ago. So, this was the third time in sixteen years that we have left our children...and the longest from Friday to Monday. Admittedly, I had to refrain from calling frequently because I really did know they were fine without me...maybe even flourishing!
The irony is that for the past sixteen years I have been preparing my children to fly on their own. I hope they soar. And now, I have discovered it is harder to let them fly than I ever dreamed, but if I don't let them go--they will never soar!
So a little at a time, reluctantly, I am slowly practicing letting go--even though it tugs at my heartstrings
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You did good mama:)
ReplyDelete