As a little girl growing up on the prairie, I loved Laura Ingalls Wilder's stories...still do.
I have read and reread all her books. I thought I had read everything she had written.
Then I discovered a collection of letters published under the title, West from Home--Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder San Francisco 1915. Longing to see her only daughter and curious to learn how to write stories, Laura Ingalls Wilder made the trip West from her home in Mansfield, Missouri. Arriving in August 1915, Laura was met by her beloved daughter in San Francisco. Here Rose Wilder Lane was working as a writer. For three months Laura explored the city and surrounding areas of California while practicing her writing which is evident in the descriptions of her adventures which she lovingly writes home to her husband.
Seventeen years later, Little House in the Big Woods was published.
So it was here, where I live, that Laura learned to write stories by watching and working with her daughter.
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment