Grandma Farwell slipped quietly away from us into the night.
A quiet lady with a warm smile and soft eyes, she made me feel like I had been part of the family forever even when I was a new bride nearly 20 years ago. I always treasured our visits to Wyoming--as newlyweds we would chat and dream on our drive, and then Grandma would greet us at the door as the aroma of fresh baked bread wafted out--Ron's favorite. Later lunch would fill her little table. I still remember her flavorful soups. She knew how to feed the soul.
As a young bride, I confided that I needed recipes. She delivered. As a matter of fact, when I learned that she had slipped away, I found myself reaching for my cookbook...for her handwriting...for the recipe cards from her kitchen. Then I remembered the delightful stew she made for us a few days after Christmas in 2010. Nothing made her happier than watching all her "grandkids" fill their bowls and listening to the banter around the table--even as her hearing was starting to fade.
Plus she was the wife of a miner (like me) with five children (well, I only have four). She knew about unpredictable metal markets. She knew about tramping from mine to mine. She knew about grimy clothes and mucky lunchboxes. She never complained, and I know her life was hard. But she had a spunky spirit I admired. She loved to laugh. She had a great sense of humor that would sneak up on you--maybe even a bit like my husband's...as a matter of fact, that may be the source of his...
Many years ago grandma looked at me from her favorite rocking chair and told me that I should write. She told me she loved my creative letters. I remember my utter shock, and years later I remember daring to let my thoughts drift to writing...maybe the germination of the little seed she planted? I am not sure I will ever bloom like her flowers and garden once did, but maybe it is time to explore the possibility.
I need to find my voice in memory of those who have loved me.
Sunday, June 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment