Thursday, August 23, 2012

Basil



I was enticed by the big beautiful basil plant at the grocery store for $2.99.

Fresh basil in the produce section is nearly the same price, so I figured why not?

My first lesson was basil likes water--lots of it.  The generic plastic container it came in drained quickly, and my lovely basil plant would be sad and wilted by nightfall.

Thus I made a trip to Target for a new garden pot.  As I looked at the limited, end-of-the-season selection, I quickly narrowed it down to ones that had drainage holes and a drip tray built in for another $2.99.  I suspected that it would be the only way the plant would survive me!

A quick transplant left my basil smiling.

Then I had to ask my sister how to harvest my new herb.  Evidently it is important to pinch it off at the stem where new leaves are forming because then it can split and grow again (rather than plucking a few leaves which just leaves barren stems)!

I added it to my fresh veggie pizza that we grilled a couple nights ago.  Yummy!

Plus I love the gentle aroma of growing basil in my kitchen.

I am thinking about a fresh pesto sauce and pasta for supper.  Maybe my son should make some fresh crusty country bread.

1 comment:

  1. I need one of these... Mim has holy basil and it smells so good I would like it in my house even if it didn't make everything tasty!

    ReplyDelete