Saturday, August 25, 2012

Friday Morning

5:45 AM--Alarm(s) beeps obnoxiously

6:00 AM---Sleepily making breakfast and lunches.

6:20 AM--My teenage girls cruise off to school together hoping to stop at Starbucks for a Friday morning treat.

6:30 AM--Tea and my morning paper

7:16 AM--Telephone rings.

Me:  Hello?

Hello, this is Foster City Police Department.

Me: Speechless.  Subconsciously holding my breath.

Is this Nikela's mother?

Me:  mumble an affirmation, still not breathing.

Is Nikela home?

Me:  No.

When would be a good time to reach her to schedule her final interview?

Exhaling...Me:  She starts school at 7 AM, so I am not sure, but I can leave her a message to call you.

My heart was still palpitating when I hung up the phone in utter relief that my daughters were safely at school.

Somehow I had momentarily forgotten that my oldest daughter applied for the discovery program with the local police department.  It all started with a 12 page application a couple months ago--complete with certified documents.  An intensive background check was run as she was interviewed at different department levels.  References were checked and neighbors interviewed (some were concerned about why...)  Then there was the surprise visit at our residence complete with a room check and then more interviews.  Today she had a computer voice stress analysis today...and she passed!

She has reached the final interview with the chief of police next week.  If accepted she will attend a 9 week police training academy.

Obviously the program has an intense screening process which has been an excellent learning experience for my daughter.

I am so proud of her.

I am even happier that the phone call was so simple.

I can't believe that I panicked.

Well, yes, I can.  I am her mother.

1 comment: