"Take Me Out to the Ball Game"
103 years ago this song drifted into the American psyche. For me it was merely a catchy tune that accompanied a sport I know very little about. Last summer I attended a game in Evansville with my sister and her husband who is a fanatic, I mean fan. I sweltered in the 90 degree heat, but we were in good company and it was fun. I even picked up a few concepts about the game as my brother-in-law patiently explained the game to my son. I had one other minor league game under my belt when we were in St. Paul many years ago.
Then Ron came home with four tickets to the Giants/Dodgers game. My oldest girls insisted it was "my turn" to go to the game. They assured me they would be fine and told me to have fun a bit too quickly.
Well, I relented, and with our younger kids in hand we were swept into AT & T Park with the flood of Giants' fans. Admittedly, the energy was entertaining. Then we arrived at our seats. Check out this view from row 12.
As the game started, I found myself intrigued by the action unfolding in front of me. I had to concentrate to understand the game, but as the innings progressed I became completely immersed in the action. As the score favored the Dodgers I sat on the edge of my seat. Then the runs by the Giants brought the crowd to their feet and the stadium roared. Delighted with the action I stayed in my seat, as to not miss anything; however, one trip to the restroom for Chayse did reveal the fans on the shores of the bay.
Then I begged Ron to stay until the end of the game. Yep, you read that right. I wanted to see the entire game. I watched the Giants most famous pitcher strike out a few players and end the night.
As the tide of people went out, the seagulls descended for their bedtime snacks.
I loved my first major league baseball game. I am ready to go again. Of course, I would like those seats again too :)
Ron's a smart guy... getting those seats pretty much ensures you will want to go again! Bet kade loved it!!
ReplyDelete-lisa