Monday, August 15, 2011

Walden Moments

The canyon road meandered up the mountain slowly, as the crisp, clear water rushed down picturesquely amidst the bounders. A few mountain sheep grazed by the roadside.



We dined at Rocky Mountain National Park as we gazed across the meadow of wildflowers. Soon we were hiking the trail through the meadow. The warm sun encouraged us to move slowly and savor the moment. The kids scampered down the trail with their cousins. They would pause under the guise of waiting for us with bright red cheeks.



As the trail shifted up the mountain, the trees offered reprieve from the hot sun. Though the mountain stream called out to the kids. Quickly they were standing by the cooling waters as their red cheeks faded. Then fallen logs tempted climbers, and soon toes were enticed by the water beneath.





Copycat.




I love the mountains. I could sit by the stream all day, but on this particular day it was special because I was sitting with my cousin reminiscing about childhood adventures, as our own children explored their emerging world. Not sure where the years have gone, but I don't mind pausing on the trail here with a childhood comrade who is now a parent comrade. Grateful for the years and adventures of living that can be shared and treasured. And the good entertainment at Rocky Mountain National Park on August 6, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment