My red and white mountain bike missed me this summer.
As I strap on my red helmet, my heart beat in anticipation of riding down the bay trail. Hopping on and cruising over to the trail, I feel good. The knobby tires buzz over the paved trail as I settle in for the ride. The cross breeze greets me coolly as the evening sun warms my skin already tingling from the exercise.
A mile disappears.
As I round the corner into the next mile, I could see the bay a quarter of a mile away. Within minutes I round another corner as the trail curves to the north following the shore of bay. The salty coolness blasts my face as I head straight into a head wind rolling alongside the crashing waves. Suddenly the scenery drifts from my peripheral vision, as my muscles burn with the sudden resistance. My focus shifts solely to crawling ahead.
Another mile marker appears.
The wind burned my eyes as tears squeeze from the corners, as I embrace another mile. I met a few bikers whizzing nonchalantly down the trail southward. For a moment frustration filled my competitive heart even though I knew better. Breathing hard I hunker low over my bike, as every muscle works to keep the bike moving forward on the trail. My eyes are glued on the road just a few feet in front of me.
Finally, the third mile marker appears, but I don't even see it until I pass it...my concentration intense.
The trail curves sharply and weaves under the freeway bridge, as I wrestle with the reality that I may have to modify my 10 mile goal. Experience has taught me that the wind will be stronger on the other side of the bridge. Nonetheless, I catch my breath as I follow the turns in the trail. The wind does not disappoint as I emerge. The white caps crash into the craggy rocks. My muscles try to respond but I feel my strength waning quickly. I slow and make a u- turn.
As I settle into an easy rhythm, I notice the landscape once more. I am looking down the trail anticipating my next move. I shift up and the increase in tension doesn't even phase me as I seek to maintain a strong pace.
My mind embraces the ride as the miles whiz by...though I am still disappointed that I wasn't able to meet my goal. I must admit to myself I wasn't strong enough to add the extra miles. I shift my mental strength down and start setting goals to make my ride a reality. It is so easy when the wind is behind you.
Some days as I round a curve in life I am so unexpectedly blasted, I stagger. As I regain my footing, I push forward.
It is in these moments I grow the strongest...when I feel the weakest.
Irony.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You need to be closer so you can motivate me!! I could use a trail partner over the age of 9!
ReplyDeletexoxo lisa
Once upon a time I had a trail partner in Minnesota. She definitely whipped me into shape. Then she reappeared in Big Timber and did it again! She tried to convince me the burning felt good...so beware of trail partners you may get what you ask for! lol
ReplyDeletehaha don't worry sis... i am always careful with you crazies!
ReplyDelete-lisa