Friday, September 2, 2011

Tagine



While shopping, I stumbled upon this cool-looking pot. I had entertained the idea of clay pot cooking recently, and this seemed close...and I loved the design of the dish, so I bought it. It is called a tagine. I had to look up the pronunciation.

Luckily, I got a great deal on the tagine, so I could promptly spend my savings on cookbooks that would teach me how to use it!

The tagine is Moroccan. The ingredients needed for Moroccan food are not readily available in the grocery store. Luckily, there are many specialty grocery stores here. On an adventure Kade, Chayse, and I went. Several hours later we had explored all the possibilities in our neighborhood...but we were successful.

Ingredients in hand we began chopping and cooking. Our first recipe was for a meatball tagine. Kade sautéed the seasonings as I worked on creating meatballs. Then the dish simmered on the stove. The fragrance was unbelievable!

During the last few minutes of cooking, eggs are added to the center of the dish and cooked...almost like poached eggs.



It was a delightful meal.

Not all of my kitchen boredom results in good food, but we loved this!

I really liked the way the tagine cooked on my gas cooktop. As I get better, I suspect I may use it for cooking American dishes too :)


1 comment:

  1. Omg that makes me hungry!! looks amazing, plus that pot is super cute! now i want to try this (or just visit so you can cook for me)!
    xoxo Lisa

    ReplyDelete