Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Another Day

Today is Fred's birthday.

96 years of living and he tells me, "When you have had as many birthdays as I have, it is just another day."

My little boy turned 12 a several days ago. He was so excited because now the world is open to him for all those activities that state, "Must be 12 years old." Our culture notices 12.

But Kade also noticed that he will also be excluded from some things--"Children under twelve."

Fred has celebrated 8 times more birthdays than Kade.

We are planning to celebrate with Fred on Saturday. His wife selected the restaurant in South San Francisco. She loves the fresh shrimp salad on Saturdays because the seafood comes off the boat and into the restaurant that day.

As I was explaining this to Ron, he asked me, "Where does Fred want to go? It's his birthday."

I looked at him in surprise--of course, Fred wants whatever his wife wants. It is just easier that way.

"Why did I ask?" Ron finished.

Fred is 45 years into his second marriage with nearly 70 years of matrimonial bliss total--far longer than Ron has been alive.

It has taken a few years, but Fred is wise.

A happy wife puts the happy in birthday.

Perhaps Ron will gain this wisdom in the next 40 years--if he is lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment