Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chinese New Year's Parade



The lion dance is my favorite as the dancers move rhythmically to the cymbals, gongs, and drums. The colorful details and wooly trim entice me every time.



A rapid, long, frequent explosion of firecrackers welcomed the year of the dragon. The pearl of wisdom led the dragon in an exuberant dance that delighted crowds.



Navigating easily through the streets on stilts, these elaborately dressed street performers were all ages!

The street sign marks our location which was several doors down from Fred's childhood home--though he would have climbed up the hill and watched the parade on its traditional route through the heart of Chinatown on Grant Street.



Dancing through the streets, these young kids were impressive!



The Eastern Bakery still stands on the corner. Fred remembers the bakery from childhood.



The bean cakes are special New Year's treats, so when I found them I photographed them, as the line was long!



The parade photos were the work of my son, and he also captured this photo of his sister that I love! Very clever.

1 comment: