The sun rose again yesterday...peacefully on the farm calling forth another day. As I watched it slowly emerge against the ol' familiar barn, I realized that for 90 years my family has watched the sun rise on the humble homestead. Prodding a living out has had its challenges through the years, but I am standing here as a testament to their tenacity.
I am flooded with warmth as the sun's rays grow stronger and the memories of my grandmother fill me. For 54 years, she lived on this land after marrying my grandfather. I never knew my great-grandparents, though I wonder about the details of their lives, too. I wonder if I am like them. I smiled then because I realized that throughout the weekend with all my cousins, I saw my grandmother in each of them. I hadn't noticed that before...
We first arrived at the farm as precocious babies. Then we returned as clamoring toddlers, as rambunctious kids, as unpredictable teenagers...and eventually adults. Grandma faithfully nurtured us throughout the memory-filled years with unconditional love, gentleness...and patience.
As we gathered together this weekend, it was the first time we did not have her guidance. The quietness was pervasive as we assembled in her memory, but gradually soft words led to shared stories and tender moments. Tears spilled out. Laughter rang out. We weren't sure of ourselves, as we said farewell to the rock of our family. A GPS couldn't help us through this uncharted territory, but slowly each child and grandchild found a new role within the family...each carrying the influence of Grandma...in shining eyes, a warm laugh, a gentle touch, a caring word, a helping hand, calm presence, a head bowed quietly...
Grandma departed gently leaving us with all the tools to navigate, and as we uncovered them a strength emerged within the family as new roles were distributed. The hand tools of the heart were being passed on to another generation
Today another day emerges and life's duties have called us all back too quickly, but I have returned with a renewed sense of family...an awareness of how closely I hold each person to my heart, and the realization that my grandmother is always with me...in the woman I have become.
Thank you, Grandma.
No comments:
Post a Comment