Did I mention that preparation for this would require more shopping? Did I also mention that as I was leaving the house to head to the mall my cell phone rang...and it was my trusty husband checking on me?? How did he know his money was leaving the house? Nonetheless, he gave me his blessings (only because he was grateful he didn't have to go too...)
Off to the mall I headed, after touching base with my sister for suggestions. She suggested a sweater dress and boots, which is a bit intimidating at 39, but I decided to give it a try since I already own an adorable pair of boots. First stop, I tried on a mere twelve dresses, of which three might work. Then I headed off again...for at least another 20 try-ons at various stops. Nothing spectacular. Discouraged, I focused on accessory shopping. I have impeccable taste for accessories...if it is ridiculously expensive, I will like it. Finally, I headed back to where I started and selected one dress. Without accessories, I head home.
Later that evening (after I was finished running kids), I tried on my new dress with my brown boots. I was soooo disappointed. The boots were not as chocolate brown as I remembered, but instead they were a rosy brown, and they did NOT match. I tried a couple combos to no avail.
Frustrated I start pilfering through my closet. I try every combination possible. I literally pull all of my clothes out and try them on. Now, I forgot to mention that I have been working very hard for the past six months to modify my eating habits and increase my exercise. Counting all those calories has really paid off, and I have lost over 20 pounds, but I would like to lose a few more...well five to be specific; however, the process has slowed significantly, but I am persevering. Anyway, while I am excited that I have managed to lose weight, it has created another wardrobe crisis because nothing fits. No, I am not exaggerating.
Now, I realize that this is an opportunity to buy a whole new wardrobe...and shop...but it is more difficult than one realizes. Shopping is a lot of work. Especially if I have nothing to build off at home. Where do I start? Plus date night is tomorrow, and I officially have nothing to wear. Ron says I have 20 hours to figure it out.
Sleeping isn't even a reprieve, as I have nightmares about my clothes on date night. Really? I don't have time for nonsense at night. My sleep is a precious commodity that no one messes with! Annoyed, I face another day. This was supposed to fun...a special treat...a new dress...smiles...an evening with my husband.
Anyway, I send all the kids off to school. My Yukon is scheduled for inspection, and I spend the morning with Ron at Home Depot in search of bathroom details for the new remodel project...sadly, it isn't limited to my closet. With hardyboard, screws, 2 x 4's, and a light fixture, we head home. I have decided on tile, though. This makes my husband happy. However, I still don't have a dress.
Home again. I exercise while I wait for the call on my Yukon. My frustration pays off here. I manage to hit the four mile mark in thirty minutes on my elliptical for the first time!!
Still no vehicle. I call. They just finished, and I can come get it. Ron grabs the keys and drops me off wishing me luck...again. I notice he leaves with Chayse quickly. I am sure it is a precautionary measure. His willingness to manage the house and kids is motivated by avoidance of shopping...outside Home Depot.
As I head to the mall again, I detour instead to a local shopping center. Desperation requires variety. I begin my search grabbing anything that looks like it has potential...and might fit. Nine dresses later, I head to the dressing room again. I can only try on eight at a time, so I take the one I like the least and save it for later. Do they realize that I am on a mission here with only a few hours to spare? Oh well, I don't have time to quibble. I reluctantly, but quickly begin the process again. Pessimistically. Dress one...okay. Dress two...not flattering for my post-child figure. Dress three...is this a size three?? Dress four...too big. Dress five...jackpot! Hit...Again! And...Again! Bring on the lottery tickets! Shock requires me try them on again. Did I miss anything? Are they really suitable? Do I still like them? I think a smile crept across my face here...I have choices!
I exit the dressing room with no intention of returning. However, I must have accessories. I try on every single pair of black boots. My calves that powered four miles this morning are much too large for tall boots. For any boots. Nevermind. I am going to find the jewelry. Hummm. Nothing here. Well, I have more stores to go. I am not going to lose my momentum. At least I have dresses. I buy all three. I will bring back the ones I can't accessorize later.
Next store. I find great necklaces. One turquoise and copper for the sweater dress. AND it is on sale! As I head to the men's department to find my husband the scarf he requested, I power through the shoes. I pause once at a pair of black boots that catches my eye with the unique textures it sports. As I pick it up I realize that it has a spandex back! JACKPOT, again! I slip it on, and in amazement, I gaze in wonder at the boot on my leg. It fits. It really, really fits!
Without hesitation and sporting a big smile, I grab the box and head to the men's department. Scarf found. Checkout next. Ohhh...jewelry clearance. Pause. Cute silver and black, chunky necklace for black dress. Must have. On to checkout. Out the door. Cell phone rings. "Honey, how is it going?" This is code for.."You are running out of time, come home."
Enthusiastically, I babble on. The other end is quiet. Very quiet. Dollar signs are registering, I am sure. I assure him I will be home soon...though, notice, I did not reassure him I did not spend too much...
Home again. Now I really have choices. I begin trying every outfit on. I have three complete choices. My daughters join the ranks. Kiahra sends photos to Aunt Kristi for additional feedback. Ron narrows the choice for tonight by two. The girls vote black. Kristi tosses in her vote for black too. Black it is. Now I can get ready with 45 minutes to spare...well, not spare exactly, but no problem, now!
Whew. I did it. Smiling. Pa Kettle is still grimacing at the light pocketbook. Really, don't you think he should be smiling too? Without all that extra weight?
You look fantastic! All that shopping was worth it. Hot Mama!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great photo of you and Ron, and of you in the yellow coat, and of Kiahra! The accompanying story is a true fingerprint of the Lori I know. Reading it was like talking to you on the phone; me on my front porch, you in your new kitchen.
ReplyDeleteAs for finding any cheesy parts, I think maybe the "did I mention parts" at the beginning may have cheese potential. It is the beginning of the story, so of course you didn't mention it.
As for the funny parts, any dressing room story is funny to any woman, as is the full circle ending relating to the lighter bodies and wallets.
Thanks for asking my opinion and sharing your writing with me. I'm no expert, but I feel special being asked! Reading your blog is almost like keeping in touch.