Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fine Wine

Once upon a time, I was a little girl. And I remember gazing into an elaborately ruffled little bassinet at a beautiful little princess. She was sleeping peacefully, and I remember her little bottom high in the air with her legs curled under her. Her breathing was like a whisper. I remember being entranced by the perfectly formed features and precious little bundle. It is one of my earliest memories. I can still visualize the moment in my mind.

That little girl grew quickly. Soon she was running in the hot prairie sun with me during the summer. She was lively and loved to explore the nooks and crannies…fascinated by the hidden treasures she would uncover on the farm. Seeing my life through her eyes, I loved the fresh, fun perspective she brought to me.

Of course, she still brings creativity and perspective to my life through her blog. It has given us the opportunity to reconnect despite life’s busy routine.

In the past year, she has celebrated her children’s birthdays, 15 years of marriage, a new basement, and the end of chemo for her husband. Of course, she has also worried about the introduction of cancer into their lives, her children, her family, and what to fix for dinner…as we all do. In light of it all, she has framed many of these moments majestically with her camera…and those photos will live on next to her clocks marking the arrival of all things special in her life, but more importantly, they are carried in her heart, her smile, and her love.

From childhood when self is center in our world…to marriage when partnership begins…and then motherhood that catapults us into selflessness, birthdays also shift from cake, balloons, and pin the tail on the donkey to an opportunity to stop and embrace our loved ones. It is time to slow down and celebrate all that life has brought and reflect on the challenges we must also embrace as we live.

Of course birthdays sometimes cause us to pause and look in the mirror where we can also see this passage of time…and that pesky gray hair that requires a bit o’ color from time to time…those pesky genes we share…and also those pesky jeans after motherhood... Anyway, as women, I believe we should look at the beauty the years have added. The smile lines should be celebrated…it means we have laughed often with loved ones. Eyes twinkle with warmth instead of flash with the impulsivity of youth. The gradual acquisition of wisdom is held in our hearts and reflected in our faces and should be worn with pride.

Today, I extend a special Happy Birthday to that beautiful little princess surrounded in billows of ruffles…to the beautiful woman she has become, my cousin, Val! A hug from the heart, a glass of wine, and another year travels on...

1 comment:

  1. Lori...

    I have read and reread your beautiful entry. Your gift of words has brought such a smile to my face ... to my heart! Thank you so very much for reflecting on the passing of time with such poetry. I wish I could express myself as elequently as you do, but since I cannot, I hope these words carry the weight they are meant to:

    They say, in the end, all that matters is family. I am grateful, humbled, and thrilled that we have reconnected because I believe it to be true. Thank you for being my "remember when" today.

    All my love,

    Val

    ReplyDelete