On a mission, to complete my grocery shopping alone, I was diligently checking off my list with only a few more items ago when I came around the corner to the dairy department for milk. Ahead were two ladies whose pace was significantly slower than mine, so I slowed to a halt and paused.
As I did, I watched one lady gently reach out and wrap her arm around her friend's shoulders and hug her. For a moment the two gray heads came together, as the warm gesture was accepted. My heart immediately warmed too, as I saw a level of friendship that transcended words. Cautiously, they began pushing their carts ahead together...slowly...talking...oblivious to the world around them. I sensed loss and struggles in their lives, but they were persevering with grace and courage...quietly.
That is when a woman in a striking black suit came screeching around the corner and halted impatiently. She didn't say anthing, but her body language told me she was important and that she had a schedule to keep. She didn't make eye contact as she pushed ahead, though she tried to navigate around the two elderly women as politely as she possibly could.
My heart paused again. It is so easy to think that we are the first to live life to the fullest and without us the world may stop turning. Life is short, we must not let anyone stand in our way...but when we are old and gray will we have a friend to walk beside? To share a gentle squeeze of encouragement as life changes again?
I would have loved to been invited to tea by these two women to glimpse at the wisdom they have gained through living. It is funny to think that I need to slow down to live...truly live...to drink in what life has to offer...outside careers and material goods.
My heart needed that gentle squeeze to remind me to slow down. As I moved ahead, more slowly this time, I watched two smiles emerge from soft,supple faces previously hidden to me. The silver hair accentuated the shining eyes emulating the beauty within. I smiled to myself as my heart felt the warmth of their friendship as they headed down the aisle together. As I watched,I realized they had shared a precious gift...a fingerprint.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a lovely post. True friendship is such a beautiful gift. Thank you for your thoughts this morning. I will carry this with me...
ReplyDelete