Friday, December 18, 2009

Nutcracker

Before the performance, Kiahra was surprised with a Nutcracker...all her own...to dance with.



Next, we let those curls out! Added make-up. Pulled on those new tights. Eased into the costume. Slipped on those friendly pink slippers.

Finally backstage, all the little girls gathered around to admire the new nutcracker and chat with Clara. I loved this moment though I wish I could have captured it before they notice me...



Moments before the curtains opened I captured this image of Clara whose composure does not reveal any hint of performance anxiety, though she was giddy with anticipation.



A managed to capture a few performance moments, though the lighting and movement made it very challenging.



A moment with her Nutcracker on pointe. His sequins sparkled in the lights of the stage.



The final bow...



Kiahra's graceful stage presence filled my heart with pride, as I watched my little girl dance.

Though for her, the most defining moment was after the performance when one of the little bon-bon girls sweetly presented her with a lovely bouquet of Christmas flowers and with a shy smile murmured, "You were wonderful, Clara."

Nutcracker Secret

A few years ago, a little boy was so shy that he would hide behind his mother's legs wherever they went...except in the vast outdoors.



This little boy tugged at his mother's heartstrings, even though she often wondered if he would ever let go.

Well, last Saturday night, I watched that little boy take the stage too. He was a very naughty party boy. He was attending the party scene in the Nutcracker, but with comrades he conspired to torment the maid, and as she was serving goodies to all the beautiful little girls, he stuck his foot out and with laughter watched as the treats took to the air and the maid took to the floor. In furor the maid chased the naughty boy around the stage before literally kicking him all the the way off stage. Granted he sneaked right back into the party with just as much mischief, though he steered clear of the maid this time...




Kade's acting ability was impressive. I could hardly believe my eyes. He kept character with ease, and so many people in the audience kindly stopped him afterwards to tell him how much they appreciated his performance. He loved it.

I loved it, too, despite the utter awe that the naughty little party goer was my son...well actually, the mischievousness or naughtiness wasn't that surprising, but his ability to perform in that role (which is far more challenging than it appears) was...amazing...surprising.

The magical evening watching two of my children tugged at my heartstrings...hard.

That little face peeking out from behind my legs...is gone...except in my heart where a mother keeps everything dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment