Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Patsy Cline

In my search for blue Christmas lights, I stopped at Trader Horn this morning. I did not find the cheap net lights, but as I headed out the door a display of CDs for one dollar stopped me. As I scanned the artists and titles, most of them unfamiliar, I stopped when I read, "Fingerprints." What are the chances? As I pulled it out, I found myself gazing at Patsy Cline. Well, for a dollar, I had to listen to her version of fingerprints, which I was sure would be more romantic than mine.

I popped her CD in before heading home, and as her distinctive voice filled the vehicle, I smiled. The lyrics unfolded as she mourned the loss of her lover who left fingerprints on her heart...fingerprints of sorrow. "As the teardrops start, I feel the fingerprints you left on my heart." As the familiar strains of "Walkin' After Midnight" followed, I drifted back, remembering Patsy Cline's voice emitting from Grandpa's record player. As a child, I recall not being particularly fond of her music, though I was fascinated by her voice. Strange how the years have slipped by and the familiar tone of her voice no longer annoys me, but instead comforts me and takes me back like a waltz to a little girl. A fingerprint on my heart.

Roots also drew me to another CD. It was titled Farmer's Daughter and when I flipped it over, I saw a song titled, "Prairie Sky." Never heard of this girl, but I was intrigued, so I grabbed it too. After travelling down memory lane with Patsy and arriving home, I plucked it into the CD player and skipped to the prairie song. The band started with the sounds of prairie wind, and a high whispery voice filled the room. "...nothing can move me like a prairie sky..it always feels like home...take a drive back to the memories that will never die...prairie sunsets...thundershowers...I can't believe how long its been...being here makes me feel like a kid again...take a drive back to the memories of a prairie child..." I am rolling down memory road again...gazing at Nikela's photo from yesterday...

Time to shift gears, as it is so easy to succumb to homesickness this time of year. I insert the beautifully packaged holiday CD by Scarlett Rivera. No idea who she is, but the well designed cover convinced me that I needed it. Well, that, and the price. I am always seeking good Christmas music...cheap. Anyway, I am now listening to it...and it is beautiful...quality...wordless...not sure...as I really like words (shocking, isn't it?)...perhaps I should have read the cover too?! Though as I think about it, it will be good for background music when we host a Christmas party at our home for Ron's co-workers. Actually, they have become our friends, as the nomadic nature of this job tends to encourage companionship amongst ourselves--particularly since so many people's homes are across oceans. The music is perfect, actually. Especially since it has 20 songs, it won't repeat too often :)

It is now time to face the music--LAUNDRY.

No comments:

Post a Comment