This time of year all those lessons and coerced practices culminate into performances. Band Concerts, piano recitals, and jam sessions...formal and informal. I love it!
Nikela played "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" on the piano during a Sunday afternoon performance last week where Aunt Kristi was on hand to admire her years of lessons. Then she played into the evening for us. I never grow weary of the sound... Sometimes on warm summer evenings with the doors and windows open the notes drift out into the neighborhood, and actually, sometimes the neighbors even have coffee on their decks on Saturday morning lingering, hoping to hear the melodious tone of the piano.
Last Thursday the winter band concert at the middle school continued our musical interlude. Nikela played the bass clarinet with the eighth grade band while Kiahra joined the sixth grade band with her alto-sax. As the music filled the auditorium, it never fails to bring back memories of my grandfather, who loved band music so much. He faithfully attended parades for his love of marching bands. He would strain to hear the first notes from down the street. Of course, we kids were only too willing to tag along for our share of the candy and fun! On cold winter nights when bands were safely indoors, he would pull out the old records and listen to his favorite bands. I remember marching around in beat to the music as a small child. The irony strikes me on this cool winter night that he would have been so proud and thrilled to enjoy this concert. In the great-grandchildren that never knew him, the music lives on.
Tonight Kade will take to the stage on the drums at his winter band concert at the elementary.
In the meantime, last week during Kade's guitar lesson, as he strummed the chords of "Jingle Bells", Chayse chimed in with the lyrics...her favorite. Her pink little cheeks glowing as her head bobs and body sways with the rhythm, and the enthusiastic "Hey!" that punctuates the end of the line...it is my personal favorite!
Friday Chayse sang her little "Otter Song" during her preschool performance. Proudly dressed in her new little red Christmas dress and topped off with her otter hat, she loved the stage! However, it was her persistence in seeking me out in the crowd that charmed me. As she came in the room, I saw her looking for me and when she saw me, she flashed me her most charming grin and then followed it up with her cute little hand signing "I love you." I had to navigate all the zealous parents for a few photos, and the results were disappointing, but I just settled in for a sweet performance and lots of love sent from my littlest bug. Those little eyes positively twinkled with anticipation. Luckily I sport the brightest coat in the room, so she never had to look too long to find me!
As the formal performances draw nigh this evening, I find myself hoping to find the kids gathered around and singing their favorite carols together in the days ahead...with adaptations, of course...and sporting their favorite red hats. They have occasionally done this throughout the season, and it warms my heart to hear their little voices fill the house. Laughter frequently rings throughout the house during these moments too, and I love it!
I treasure these moments more dearly...the spontaneity of life and all its imperfections.
No comments:
Post a Comment