Monday, September 27, 2010

Indian Summer

Recently, I have heard murmuring among the natives about Indian Summer.

I never imaged it would be so wonderful. The warm California sun climbs through the sky and as evening falls the warmth of the day is shrouded in darkness.

For the first time all season I am still warm at nightfall. Last night we were at Yogurtouie, and as we sat on the bench at the corner of B Street and 2nd enjoying our tasty treats, Kade entertained us with his new moves--the Sponge Bob dance. No jackets needed (a first).

On our ride home, as we curved around the overpass, Nikela inhaled sharply, "Look at the moon!"

The brilliant orange orb was rising and a few sparse clouds were drifting by. The clear blue sky was rapidly darkening, but it was tinted pink by the setting sun.



Once at home, I enthusiastically grabbed my camera for a feeble attempt at capturing the majestic night sky of California. As I approached the lagoon near the bay, the moon's reflection in the water took my breathe away. As Kade stood beside me, we listened to the calling of the birds in the stillness...a rare moment of solitude in the city.



Picture perfect, but ironically I was unable to capture the perfection of the moment as my camera was irritated by my insistence to shot in the dark. Eventually, I gave up and just enjoyed the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment