Wednesday, September 22, 2010

September 22

Joan Jett. Andrea Bocelli. Anna Karina. Tommy Lasorda.

1499--Switzerland became an independent state.
1888--First issue of National Geographic
1910--Duke of York's picture house opens in Brighton
1954--Fiddler on the Roof opened at Imperial Theatre in Manhattan
1991--Dead Sea scrolls are made available to the public
1997--Tribute to Diana is released--"Candle in the Wind"

While all of these birthdays and details in history are interesting, I did not know any of them until now. What I did know was that today in my history is my sister Kristi's birthday. Thus it is a special day to me.

On August 19, I was chatting with my uncle, he commented that it was my mother's birthday. A few years have passed since her arrival in the world, but her brother still remembered.

As I have grown older, I realize that events and people will come and go...but my sister will always be there. I can call her and tell her that Kade is good enough to play in-house hockey already, and she will share my enthusiasm. I can call her when I am worried about my oldest daughter, as she adjusts to yet another school and she will care...deeply. I can share life's joys and laughter and disappointments and tears, and she will embrace them all with me. I can tell her I kinda want to write, and she will push me to blog (well, shove actually...) because she knows what I need. I can make her mad, and she will forgive me.

Sisterly love. Knowing when to listening. Knowing when to gently pick you up. Knowing when to laugh. This unconditional relationship is a very special gift.

One I try not to take for granted.

In six weeks, I should see my sister's smiling face when I get off the plane in Indiana. I can't hardly wait. In my anticipation, I feel like a girl again...scrambling off the school bus and running to the house watching for that familiar curly head to bob around the corner, and then I would know she was ready with a squeeze and sweet smile...and my heart would sing.

It will be our last visit before she begins her motherhood journey. I will have a suitcase filled with little things and favorite recipes. The warmth of the kitchen will beckon as she sits and chats with me, as I make myself at home. Kevin will good-naturedly endure. Hopefully there will be leftovers that I can freeze, and later when she reheats them the smell will waif from the stove and remind her of our days together.

I love her back deck, and I can't wait to sit there in the morning with my tea and bask in the sunshine and vibrant autumn colors...it is my favorite time of year and it simply is not the same here in California. I cannot wait.

In the meantime, Happy Birthday, Kristi!

1 comment:

  1. fun tidbit - my sister's birthday is also september 22. good kharma day i suppose :-)

    ReplyDelete