Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Vaccine

In the past two weeks, I have received multiple notices from each of my childrens' school about whooping cough/pertussis boosters--and for the record multiple notices times four definitely elicits attention at my house. Then last night at the elementary open house every teacher mentioned it and informed us that if a child has a cough they are not welcome at school.

Why the big concern with whooping cough? The answer? I just googled it. The ninth infant just died of whooping cough in California yesterday...it is an epidemic here--likely the worst in 50 years.

I called the local pediatrician immediately to inquire about boosters for my kids since I chose to vaccinate my kids, and I knew that they were immunized at one time; however, I also know that in relocating to other parts of the country my kids are highly susceptible to local illnesses because they have not established immunity. Anyway, the very friendly and helpful receptionist explained that all my kids are current and that Ron and I are the only ones who may need a booster.

She, too, was evasive about the need, so I went back to google to read the articles. California makes vaccination optional for kids to attend school in their highly concentration classrooms.

AND the highest rate of infections correlates to the lowest number of immunizations across the state.

One of the kindergarten mothers is expecting a baby. Babies cannot be vaccinated thus the high fatality rate for infants. How terrifying.

I am all for freedom of choice...but admittedly today I am rethinking the risks.

The helpful receptionist did tell me anyone(I) was welcome to receive a free whooping cough booster at the local health clinic on Friday. FREE?? In California??? This must be serious.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children have had croup/stridor and jaela was up all night for over a month and had steroid shots to open her airway.... as a parent it would be even more horrible to watch a child suffer through whooping cough... i am very glad your kids are getting older so i don't have to worry about you

    ReplyDelete