Friday, October 8, 2010

English Homework

Interview with an author last night. Nikela had to attend for English as the class will soon begin his Pulitzer Prize Novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Honestly, I hadn't heard about Michael Chabon until now. Interesting his first book was the Mysteries of Pittsburgh (PA) where he did his undergraduate studies after being raised in Maryland. He came out to California to attend graduate school at University of California in Irvine and never left.

The high school students were bored to tears. I loved it.

A few questions from the audience were posed at the end. My favorite was obviously a student's that went something like this..."Have you ever tried to read a book that everyone says is good and you know you should like, but you find it hard to read and you really don't like it even though you really do try? If you answer yes, I won't feel so alone."

He answered yes. Then he sought to find an author who is deceased to avoid hurt feelings. I believe he finally said he just couldn't read Crime and Punishment. Sometimes it happens to the best of us. Even UC Irvine graduate students. The reality is we all have a different style and it is impossible to appeal to everyone. It is also a humble reminder that we simply can't.

To be honest, I hadn't even heard of this Bay city author, and his Pulitzer book has been in print for ten years. Again, humility. Not everyone knows us and loves us.

The author was insightful and honest about his writing. My crazy habits and perspectives are exactly what he does. Now I don't feel so silly. He said that being a successful author is talent, luck, and discipline. The only one of the three that we have any control over is discipline. Therein lies my goal.

Now I must read his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment