Saturday, October 23, 2010

This little piggy went to market. This little piggy stayed home. This little piggy ate roast beef...

Roast beef. Mashed potatoes. Gravy. Veggies.

Ahhh, as a kid I loved to tumble in the door on a cool fall day to the aroma of my mother's roast beef dinner. Soul food. My dinner plate filled me from my stomach to my heart.

Mom's roast and potatoes have always been the best. No one else can measure up. As a farm girl, I was raised on these staples. I loved the fresh fall potatoes too. The frozen sweet corn from the summer harvest. The best. Unduplicated.

Yesterday, amidst the drizzle and gray I put a roast in the oven and baked it. The aroma drifted through the house. It brought smiles to my kids' faces when they tumbled through the door. Potatoes boiled. Succulent juices from the roast were drained into the pan for gravy. Dinner was served. It was almost as good as Mom's. Tender meat. Yummy 'taters. Decent gravy.

So, these little piggies ate roast beef until they were full.

1 comment:

  1. Cute. I remember the roast and potato meals too. Especially the ones Grandma Hilda would fix. She was the best cook and laments the fact that she is unable to cook for us now, while in the care center. These days I just don't cook like I used too. So many others things that capture my time and attention, but oh, the roast beef dinners are the world's best. Now I will go see if I have a roast in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete