Monday, October 4, 2010

Rite of Passage

Blustery morning. Cool. Windy. Just can't help but think of Winnie the Pooh.

My little Pooh boy left this morning for his week long camping excursion in the redwoods with his class for outdoor education. He will traverse the woods and seashores throughout the week.

He toted the giant bag his dad and he packed carefully last night with all the requirements. No electronics. No cell phones. I walked beside him this morning. He hugged me tightly when he said good-bye. The lump in my throat hasn't left yet.

He was up early this morning. He was finishing up the details. As he made his lunch, he told me he would miss me. As we drove to school, he told me this would be his first camping trip without his family. As he told me how much fun he thought he would have, he told me he would still miss me.

My little honey bear.

I assured him I would miss him too. I told him it would be the first time of many times he would explore the world without his family, but each time we would hold him close in our hearts, anxious to hear of his adventures.

Forever.

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, that would be tough. What great fun for him though!
    Hope all is well, we miss you guys!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.... this is going to be a long week for you! I can't wait to hear about his trip!

    ReplyDelete