Yesterday I paused several times as thoughts of my grandmother flooded my memories. I knew she passed away last November, but I hadn't remembered the day. Dates are details I often forget. I remember the stories. I remember our last conversation the day before...or was it the morning...anyway, she told me she was tired. I told her I was too, but it didn't seem like the kids ever gave me time to rest, and she quipped, "Well, I took a nap for you too!" Then she laughed. The laugh from my childhood that I will always hold dear. The familiar laugh that I still echoes in my heart and comforts me.
This morning I discovered the date...November 10, 2009. Funny my heart already knew what my mind had forgotten.
One year ago, we were each making plans so we could hold each other close. In the following days, our family arrived...her children and every grandchild from across the country gathered to celebrate her life. Oh, we cried too as the warm memories tugged on our heartstrings, but the smiles emerged through the tears. I am grateful for all the years we were blessed to share with her, and that she so faithfully drew her family close...even in death, the bonds of family were rekindled through her spirit.
Throughout the past year those bonds that time and distance had weakened have become stronger.
Today I am reminded of the importance to hold family close.
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment