Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cannery Row



At the turn of last century, the fishing industry began to boom, and a salmon cannery was started in Monterey. More canneries followed and during the World Wars, the demand for canned sardines peaked. As one might imagine, it was tough work. Life was hard.

As the canneries fell into demise when the overfished sardines disappeared from the bay, John Steinbeck published his book, Cannery Row in 1945. A renewed interest in this rich history resurfaced and helped preserve Cannery Row. Though most of the buildings have been modified to cater to the tourist trade, a few remaining fishing companies operate on Cannery Row.

I had just started Steinbeck's book when I found myself walking Cannery Row this weekend. I love Steinbeck. His portrayal of life is frequently harsh, but somehow he manages to find strength in the human spirit despite it. He doesn't judge but merely presents them with all their shortcomings and strengths. As I continued to read last night, I couldn't put my book down...well, technically my iPad and it's dictionary feature which helps me navigate Steinbeck's rich vocabulary, so I don't miss any of the details.

My love of this story is directly linked to my exploration of the ocean and bay. The life of the sea has come alive for me throughout the past six months, and it is so vastly different than anything I have experienced that I am enamored. Plus the voice of the author is powerful because Monterey was home to Steinbeck, as he was born 30 miles away in Salinis.

As I explore my new home, I have the opportunity to explore the voice of one my favorite authors anew...watch out future students!!

1 comment: