Friday, March 11, 2011

Distractions...

Despite my cookies and milk, it has been a long week. The news does not comfort me nor does the lack of communication. I have not heard from Ron again. His flight had been removed from the United Airlines itinerary this morning, so I decided to keep myself busy by running errands.

My first errand was to complete the smog test for my suburban, so I could turn it into DMV for my license plates. All the rest of paperwork and fees were completed nearly 60 days ago with a temporary plate issued.

1:00 PM Smog test appointment.

1:30 PM Arrived at DMV.

2:15 PM Reached the window at DMV and take my assigned number.

2:24 PM My number is called :)

A few minutes later the lady and my paperwork disappear. I can see she is conferring with her supervisor. Many minutes later a gentleman comes and asks to see the vehicle. I take him outside and he requests I pop the hood. He points to the placard on the engine that states the emission standards and explains to me that for California it clearly stated N/A. Evidently California has a law that states any vehicle under 7500 miles must meet the emission standard assigned by the manufacturer, and he informs me that mine does not.

Irritated, I explained that I have already registered this vehicle and paid the sales tax and fees, so I questioned how there could be a problem is now. He relented and told me to come back in and they would see what they could do.

So return to the counter, my heart pounding with uncertainty and the stress of the day pulsing through my veins. Finally, the lady returns wordlessly and hands me a paper that states unless my vehicle meets the three exceptions listed below it must be removed from the state of California immediately. YOUR VEHICLE MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA IMMEDIATELY. It screamed at me.

I burst into tears, as I stammered that I was told I just needed the smog test to complete the process, and that we had already completed all the legalities of licensing during which time I had read the law concerning bringing a vehicle into the state of California.

She shook her head no and informed me it was done incorrectly.

At this point, the fight came back. Sobbing and frustrated, I responded. "This 2011 Suburban was manufactured by Chevy to meet and and exceed the federal standards including all 50 state standards. Logically, do you think Chevy manufacturers California vehicles separately? Absolutely not. N/A could mean that this particularly vehicle was not sent to a CA dealership, so it wasn't necessary. It does NOT state it fails to meet the standard, so your assumption that that is what it means is completely ridiculous, and to be perfectly frank, I need this vehicle to be licensed because my husband is in Japan, and I have not heard from him in 15 hours, my father-in-law is in critical condition in South Dakota, and I have four kids and no family here, so I need this vehicle!"

Did I mention there were a few people to witness my complete breakdown? At this point Chayse is hugging me tightly and trying to comfort me.

Between sobs, I continued, "I was told this process was complete during our last three hour visit, why is it suddenly different now?"

She stammers something quietly about the vehicle inspection stating something...then suddenly, she picks up the paper and leaves. As I finish crying and pull myself together, she returns 15 minutes later. Quietly and abruptly, she tells me to meet her at the vehicle inspection station and turns on her heals.

Now, I have already had the vehicle inspected, but I just did as I was directed.

Promptly, she personally met me at the bay and began the inspection wordlessly, as I looked through my manual for the document that stated it met California Standards.

Then I heard her call over the inspector who had already expressed concern that was she completing the inspection herself and asked him to explain the placard.

He stated, "It states here it meets the federal emission standards for 2015, and the California standard does not exceed that, thus the N/A."

She finished her work silently and asked me to meet her at window 1 after parking my vehicle.

There I was presented the sacred plates and registration along with the unnecessary smog test paperwork. Humbly she extended a nice apology on behalf of DMV, and then informed that I was overcharged $154 so I would also receive a refund...again. Perhaps to absorb the cost of the unnecessary smog test?? I simply didn't care at this point, as I accepted her apology and left.

3:15 PM I left the DMV with my sister's number dialing...it is a good thing she is quiet, so I could raged on and on and on.

Ultimately, my errands certainly distracted me, and in retrospect, I think that the sales tax and fees on my new suburban were significant enough to pay their furlough wages, so really they should have been far more accommodating. Though the competency for the wages I did pay makes me see red!

So...I am thinking perhaps there is no need to play the lottery this week...

In the meantime, I am going to put on my new plates.

AND after checking for the millionth time...I just discovered Ron's flight is back on the United Airlines itinerary for tonight!!!

That would be the greatest lottery of all :)

2 comments:

  1. Dad wants to know if they were punishing you for spending money out of state! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your still in good humor.... lol on not playing the lottery! I hope this week comes to an end with your hubby home safe.... you are stronger then I! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete