Yesterday on my morning walk beside the bay, a little snail was slowly moving across my path. I hesitated and then paused to study him as he slowly crept along. The anatomy of a snail is fascinating because what look like antennas are really eyes at the end of his tentacles.
The child in me wanted to scoop him up and bring him home and study him, but the adult in me refrained and resumed walking.
Though memories of snails came gliding back from when I was very young. I would play with the tiny snails in the run-off water from the stock dams in early spring. My brother and I would explore for hours in that little stream that held all kinds of wonders. Then we would gather whatever was handy to create dams...delighted when they would hold for a few minutes.
A child's play that taught me so many important lessons.
Last night the kids played in the cul de sac with the lingering sunshine. Their voices echoed down the street.
I smiled. Sometimes I really believe that our children are missing more than they gain as we immerse them in their nightly homework...
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment