It rang at 2:21 AM. I paused and answered. I though perhaps it would be my husband a half a world away. It was my sister-in-law trying to reach her brother...to let him know his dad had just arrived at the hospital via ambulance.
As I slowly regained consciousness, I told her Ron was in Japan and his telephone service was sketchy at best. Then I listened...fluid...fluid in lungs...low blood sugar...
I hung up a few minutes later to attempt to reach my husband. Unsuccessful and now wide awake, I sat in a flood of thoughts. I called her back because since we were both awake we might as well talk. All the children are miles and miles away in Alaska and California...well, Japan...Texas...Arkansas...but she wants us to wait and see what the doctor says.
Finally, Ron reaches me and we try to converse for a few minutes at a time as the cell phone keeps dropping the call.
Then another quick update...ICU...ventilator...paracentesis...
The ringing of the telephone has filled my early morning hours, and now my household is quiet again as the kids sleep...unaware. My feeling of helplessness makes me subconsciously await the next call...and yet I am not sure I really want the phone to ring again.
Sunday, March 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment