Sisters.
One of my favorite books is Sisters of the Heart. Sometimes I think I love it just because of the title because for me relationships with sisters truly transcend directly to the heart. It is an unconditional relationship no matter the differences.
On Sunday evening, my mother-in-law's sister arrived. Yesterday I could hear the smile in her voice and the throaty chuckle I love. I could sense a calmness had returned. I knew that the presence of her sister brought these gifts.
I met her sister 20 years ago when Aunt Judy came to recover from a divorce and stayed until she retired recently.
I remember browsing at Christmas time with my mother-in-law as she looked for the perfect little gift for her sister. She wanted a rose, a purple rose. She knew exactly what her sister wanted and she patiently searched. I remember watching her with a smile in my heart. She knew what her sister wanted and though Christmas was tough this year, she wanted to give her sister something special. It was her way of saying you are really special to me. Most of the time it goes without saying, but sometimes we don't say it enough...and we each say it in our own way...sometimes with a purple rose.
None of the girls in my mother-in-law's family like to drive, and some no longer drive, so when I heard Aunt Judy was en route, I knew her sister needed her and my heart smiled. I am sure she didn't even hesitate. I love this about relationships with sisters.
Yesterday I heard the spunk in Aunt Judy's voice as she chatted. Together they had a good day with Hoss.
Today is not so good, but the voice of my mother-in-law remains strong. I feel guilty that we aren't there to help, but today I realize that her sister is who she really needs right now. In this intimate journey with her spouse, she simply needs her sister.
Hospice is coming this morning.
My father-in-law is growing weary.
And here I sit, thinking about how this family has also become mine over the years and differences ;)
With the wisdom of the years, I embrace the memories.
Mother's Day is coming. My mother-in-law loves her flowers and her yard is a testament. Her flower garden is her joy. For as long as I can remember, Hoss always said, "It is time to get mother's flowers." It is his gift for her every year. It is his way of saying you are really special to me.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment