Sometimes life tugs at my heartstrings.
Sometimes a kettle of ham and bean soup comforts.
As I was chopping and preparing the soup this morning, I was remembering an old neighbor that lived up the gravel road from us in Montana ten years ago. Dee lived on his family's homestead his entire life except for his military service years during WWII. I am not sure he even had running water...at least if he did he didn't use it very often, but nonetheless, he was always friendly and polite, and he loved my ham and bean soup. Sometimes he would even ask Ron to make sure he didn't miss any. I smiled at the memory.
The soup is simple. I probably make it like the generations before me. The simmering ham bone is the secret flavorful ingredient.
Sometimes it is the simple things in life that comfort...
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yep, like old friends visiting for hours until our cell phones go dead!!!!
ReplyDeleteI really miss you guys!!!