Wednesday, February 9, 2011



I stepped outside this morning and this first blossom greeted me, though the bush will soon be in full bloom. I love the landscape surprises in my yard.

The vibrant pink reminds me of a little lady that I occasionally see walking along the sidewalk close to my neighborhood. She wears a fabulous red hat with a fancy ribbon. She is dressed in purple and red. She walks slowly with her cane. She has watched a few years come and go. I love her spirit from afar because she obviously embraces life with her own design. She sparks my imagination. I am curious about the stories she could tell. I do not really know what she looks like, though I would love to meet her at the bus stop and pause to greet her and let her know she inspires me.

Several months ago I read an article written by a woman in San Francisco. She shared the story of watching her neighbor grow older, and in the end her disdain for the physical aging process was evident despite the sweetness of the lady next door. Ultimately, the author, aware of her own aging body, stated with contempt she would never wear purple or enjoy being old.

This has haunted me.

Do we really live in a world that despises age? Is youth really the pinnacle? What about the wisdom of age? What about the lessons of living? My grandmother's wrinkled face was so endearing to me...I always looked at wonder at the photos of her youth...this pretty young lady that I never knew. The photo I love is of my grandmother with my children. Her gray hair and the lines that hug her soft smile...the familiar face that I loved so much.

Perhaps I am nostalgic, as I can see age is certainly wrought with challenges, but whatever my life's journey, I truly want to embrace the moment. I want to wear red. I want to wear yellow. I want to be wrapped in all the colors of the rainbow if I choose. I want to see the children on the sidewalk. I want to enjoy the warmth of the sunshine and aromatic, blooming flowers. I want to live.

I may walk slower.

I will see more.

I may not have the supple skin of youth.

I will have lines from years of smiling.

I may not wear the latest fashion.

But, I will wear purple.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photo! No worries i am positive you will be a fun crazy old lady!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete