The Pittsburgh Penguins were playing last night. The score was tied at the end of the game. Overtime. Still Tied. Shootout. First three players are chosen, and then each individually tries to shoot a goal. If no goals are made, then the shootout continues in sudden death mode. Thus the setting, as Kade watched it live. His voice filled the room. His enthusiasm undeniable. Finally in the seventh round, his beloved penguins won. Moments later, he was sharing the euphoria with his dad on the phone.
A bit later in the evening, Kade quietly mentioned, "Mom, I think I heard they found the body of the missing boy." My heart quivered, as I questioned if he was sure. Kade was pretty sure he had heard correctly, but he said nothing else was said. I let the conversation drift...
When the little four year old boy went missing, the billboards along the freeways were lit up with the necessary information in addition to all the other forms of media disseminating the news.
Today I confirmed that Kade had heard correctly. His little body was found in a canal. It wasn't just my heart that quivered this time.
Then I realized that a mother would never hear her son cheering on his favorite team.
Instead, I will try to find the words to share with my son about her little boy, whom Kade has worried about for two weeks. And justifiably so.
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Life can be so ugly. How to you explain why these things happen? its easy to explain when bad things happen to people making bad choices, but a child....
ReplyDelete