Friday, February 11, 2011

Wayne Koop courageously battled cancer. His quiet courage and strength inspired me and so many others his life touched…however closely, however distantly. For me, I loved his sense of humor which he never seemed to lose to fear or bitterness in the face of adversity.

For his family, there is so, so much more.

Today is his memorial service where I am in spirit.

His wife has honestly and poignantly shared their journey in her blog, In the Moment. It is a memoir in the present. It is a beautiful tribute to life lived. Beyond her family roles, she is a photographer. Her work visually accentuates the words of her blog. The courage with which she shares her daily stories and insights is a gift to the reader and reminder that life is not for the faint of heart.

Wayne and Val are a testament to courage.

I remember Val best as a tenacious little girl. I loved her sense of adventure when she would come visit Grandpa and Grandma. The farm was her playground. I remember her desire to climb on the hay bales. Now the small square bales were not near as tricky to navigate, except you had to be careful not to knock down any loose bales in the stack or there would be trouble to be had. However, the round bales were pretty daunting for a couple little girls. Nonetheless, in shorts (this is significant because there is nothing soft about hay…it is very scratchy and unforgiving), and with spirit I remember our plans to climb to the top. Of course there were always a few challenges, and I don’t remember if we ever made it to the top…but that is a testament to the importance of the journey because I do remember the teamwork and the occasional frustration that would be replaced quickly with laughter and the task at hand.

The spirit in that little girl is still evident. Though she has been plunged into difficult life circumstances, she has emerged like steel. Each unexpected tempering makes her stronger…slowly and carefully she has become molded into the woman she is. It has not been easy. Nor will the days ahead be easy, but I have faith that amidst the tempering her strength and courage have emerged and will carry her forth wrapped in the comfort of precious memories and surrounded by her loving, close-knit family and the little hands of her children.

I love you Val, Caeden, and Claire Koop!

No comments:

Post a Comment