Slowly, but surely we arrived in Estelline, South Dakota yesterday. As I held my grandmother's frail hand in mine, we talked. Her vision is gone. She wanted me to describe each of the kids to her to help her "see" them now, though I think she enjoyed Nikela's piano playing the most. The sound of music is sweetest to her now.
Chayse even sang her favorite songs from preschool for her.
Then we visited my Uncle Larry and Aunt Betty. I have so many fond memories of my visits with them as a child. I loved playing with my cousins. I remember my Uncle Larry teasing me incessantly (not unlike the way Kevin teases Kiahra these days...). Aunt Betty's smile and patience always made her house a special treat. She and mom would chat for hours as we (kids) would disappear into our world of play.
Aunts and uncles are special people. I know I am no longer a child and the years have made me a mother...and visits are few and far between, but the warmth of their love never leaves. Those familiar memories...hot pancakes...special outings...gently cradling my first child...warm smiles...music(from Larry's country impersonations to Betty's beautiful hymns :)...are always close to my heart. There is always a comfort in their presence...even in hard times, as they stood nearby Grandma Parks' graveside this fall.
Though Aunt Betty's ability to see the world through a child's eyes has not diminished in the least, as the new little puppy charmed the kids for hours.
Like all youngsters, the pup thought she was in charge, and even took Duke for a walk which he reluctantly endured.
Mischief was never hard for her to find. The kids loved playing with her and watching her playful antics.
Warm, furry memories to carry to California!
No comments:
Post a Comment