we find the air compressor hose in a box in the master bedroom. It was marked "Her Clothes". We both had seen it, but couldn't remember where...so after searching to no avail we bought another hose. That will guarantee uncovering the missing item within 48 hours.
I registered Nikela for school today. It was our third attempt. I was in tears on the telephone when she told me I had to have vehicle registration too because that had never been mentioned before and for some reason I hadn't pulled into the DOT to change that in the mere 7 days I have been here....well, that and I requested records sent to CA before we left, but because CA didn't request the records, the records weren't sent. No access to records in Pittsburgh, PA until August 10 when the counselors return to work there. No records, no registration in California. I couldn't keep it together. When the lady realized I was from Pennsylvania...not the suburb of Pittsburgh in San Francisco, she became more accommodating. I went to the office immediately...where she promptly told me another lady called shortly after me from out of state and melted down completely too...I really wanted to ask for her number. AND, I really wanted to tell her that they have some real issues with registration due to their open enrollment program. People lie, cheat, and lie some more to get their kids into different schools. I even had to sign an honesty affidavit stating I understood the school district would hire a private investigator and I would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law if I was not being honest. Anyway, we will see if Nikela is enrolled Monday. I wonder when she will be able to register and in what school...
Did I mention the lady reminded me of my home schooling option? Too quickly, I proclaimed that I intended to get something in return for all the taxes California is pilfering from my income.
Stress.
The bitter part of the move...uncertainty.
The sweet is unintentional...like when Kiahra told me I was a good driver in San Francisco. It was my first day navigating, and I was in the heart of the city of San Francisco. Evidently the extra two lanes of traffic help me out??? Whatever. Truthfully, every state's road design from freeway exits to entrances to intersections to road markings are different; however, the system in California is more familiar to me (could it be the engineers are all trained the same in the West?). Well, and in Pittsburgh folks drive by landmarks and poorly marked streets; whereas, every street is well marked and referred to by name here. Like that. The style of driving is aggressive and fast here. That I don't mind either. The bitter was equally unintentional as she felt I always struggled to get around Pittsburgh. Admittedly, I was just getting it figured out before we left. I just couldn't get accustomed to the system design...but now I miss the familiar.
Like furniture stores. We went to at least 10 furniture stores yesterday. Every single store is filled with mid century modern furniture...even Macy's. Talk about sharp contrast in style. Everything is designed to fit the small spaces of California. It is not my style. I just want a cute bookshelf. I did uncover a Crate and Barrel and World Market at the mall...but still not my style. What to do? Ron doesn't want to shop with me anymore. He took me on a drive after hours to show me where to go. Very sweet of him.
Maybe I should just donate all those great books to the proficient school system...cynicism. I am weary today.
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
And to think you have only been here 7 days! Your big Birthday is tomorrow so shop your heart out until I get home! The aggressive driving natural to CA women I think and it because of the 4-7 mile view they have compared to Pittsburghs quarter mile. No matter what I am Happy you and the kids are here and am looking forward to you catching my age tomorrow. Love you Lots RON
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are settling in! Your adventures are so fun to read! We miss you here on Squire Place! Look forward to talking to you soon. Happy Big Birthday! Have a nice glass of wine.
ReplyDeleteMiss you.
Megan