My kitchen clock arrived in California still ticking on Eastern Standard Time. As I hung it on the nearest nail I could find, I did not reset it. For the past few weeks, it has been ticking, reminding me what time it is Pittsburgh as I negotiated all the details of the contract for the sale of our home there.
Now I am sitting here listening to the tick of the clock in the rare silence of my new home. My last phone calls made. As the kids sleep, I sit here. Waiting. Thinking. Wondering.
540 Squire Place was very good to us. We descended upon the neighborhood, and they embraced us. Kade spent two years exploring the woods surrounded by boys who loved to explore as much as he did. I remember the giant crawdad he brought to me from the creek that first summer. He was so proud. At dusk the chase of the fireflies would begin followed by a good game of hide and seek in which every yard was available.
My big girls also enjoyed these activities though they spent more hours playing with the other girls in the neighborhood exploring the woods and filming their "show"...priceless. As they grew older they spent more and more time at the pool and the circle of friends expanded, as did their swim experiences as part of swim team. They miss that glistening body of water bubbling with the energy of kids.
Kiahra and Nikela also spent countless hours entertaining the younger kids. I can still see Nikela spinning Matthew in the Lesser's yard this spring as he shrieked in delight with his charming grin topped with that curly hair. Darling.
Our littlest girl spent countless hours playing with anyone who would let her...though she was partial to Chloe and Matthew. She still wants them to come play. So do I. She charmed the neighborhood with her pretty eyes and smile...Mr. "Lester" already misses her...I am sure. I can still see her tenacity as she held her own in street hockey with the boys...just as I was going to tell her to stop for fear of her getting hurt...she won the battle for the puck with a well placed hit. Nevermind...she was fine...more than fine.
As the memories tumble out of my heart, I cannot type fast enough to capture the true essence of what the neighborhood truly met to us.
A neighborhood that truly nurtures its children is a special gift. One that each one of our children will carry in their hearts forever. I hope someday they create a neighborhood as wonderful.
Our farewell BBQ in the cul-de-sac was interrupted by a short cloud burst. Today it feels so suiting that the sky cried with us momentarily amidst the celebration of friendship.
Did I mention that as the moving day approached, invitations to dinner and lunch abounded, as did all the willing helping hands. When our beds were gone, we still had a soft place to lay our weary heads. Despite the chaos of the final days, we never had to leave the cul-de-sac. Instead the neighborhood embraced us again easing us forward with love.
And again on Monday, Gary and Ann eased my homesickeness as they joined us for dinner here in San Carlos after enjoying a tour of Sonoma and Napa valleys. As we walked into the restaurant and saw those familiar faces smiling at us, my eyes filled with tears that were quickly replaced with delightful conversation, food, and wine. The evening ended too quickly, but I hold tightly to the reminder that friendship follows us wherever we go.
Closed. I move the hands on the ticking clock to Pacific Standard Time.
Fare thee well 540 Squire Place.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read your post with tears in my eyes. Yes Squire Place is a wonderful place to raise our children however it is much quieter. Our faithful adventure seekers are now in California. Your names are spoken daily always in reference to a fun memory followed by a smile. We all miss you more than you know! You are always welcome on Squire Place and certainly have meals and beds waiting.
ReplyDeleteMegan