Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tidbits to Save

July...in my humble experience, is a hot month. Very hot sometimes. In San Francisco, it is evidently one of the least desirable months of the year. First of all it definitely unpredictable. On Saturday, it was warm at the house, perhaps upper 70s with the sun shining, then we ran up to the city to pick up something, and as we drove the mere 30 minutes we slowly transitioned into the fog and wind. When we stepped out of the vehicle in San Francisco I was blasted with a cold wind. People were wearing coats. It was a mere 58 degrees. Cold.

Yesterday I was filling up with gas in a neighboring community. First I couldn't figure out how to make the pump work, and the attendant kindly informed me I was from Pennsylvania where they don't have vapor protection on their pumps, but that I could learn. Once the gas was pumping and he could retire comfortably on my sale :), he shared his love of California with me. He told me I had to always carry a jacket. Always dress in layers. Be prepared for rapid shifts in weather. He described watching the fog roll in with nostalgia and love. I love watching folks' eyes twinkle with excitement as they talk about the place where they call home. I wait for that gentle grin that slowly crosses their faces and emulates warmth. As they welcome me, each in their own way, their enthusiasm is contagious.

I always listen carefully, too, as their wealth of knowledge may help me in unforeseen ways as I navigate this strange land. This I have learned from years of listening and transitioning.

For example, yesterday I was told about a free internet traffic site that monitors traffic in the Bay area. I immediately checked it after arriving home and confirmed the accuracy. A valuable bookmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment