Tuesday, August 24, 2010

80s

While I was raised in the 80s, I am beyond the big hair and makeup, though the return of the essence of the style keeps me entertained as my girls try on skinny jeans with big shirts and belts!

But what truly excited me about the 80s today was the weather forecast! A high of 88 is unprecedented in my short California experience. It was around 80 on the 4th of July, and since then it has hovered in the upper 60s and lower 70s with very cool evenings.

Yesterday Dad told me it was 104 in South Dakota. While I wasn't exactly jealous, I did feel a twinge of disappointed that the weather here really hasn't felt like summer to me, but unlike Mark Twain who felt the summer he spent in San Francisco was the coldest winter he had experienced (after growing up in Missouri), I do not find it near as cold as a good Midwestern winter, just comfortable.

Nonetheless, I looked forward to the day like a child eyeing a giant lollipop. I found my favorite shorts and embraced the day.

The day turned out to be hot--95 degrees! I even turned the air conditioner on for the first time! Tomorrow a heat warning has been issued for 101 degrees. Admittedly, the California sun is definitely hot, but today I enjoyed the feel of summer even though I didn't have time to go to the pool or the ocean where one should bask in the warmth! (with lots and lots of sunscreen)

It is 10:00 PM, and it is still warm enough for shorts, as it is still 70 degrees instead of 59! I had to wait until August 23, but summer has finally arrived for a few days! WoooooooWeeeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment