As I stood on the front porch of our little cabin in the Smoky Mountains, my sister informed me I would be an aunt again soon. I gasped in utter delight and surprise.
I remember my mind racing to comprehend this unexpected news as I gazed out at the trees surrounding us...at the tiny buds on all those limbs. Life. A beautiful gift. But...I was going to be an aunt!
My sisters are very special to me. Sharing these moments with them always, always fills my heart with joy.
I have been waiting for today. We all have been waiting for today as we have speculated on whether it would be a boy or girs, oscillating between visions of clouds of billowly pink or cute cubs outfits.
As I dialed the phone, Kade's words came back to me. We were shopping in the mall the other day and we stopped to look at the baby department. He told me he secretly wished Kristi would have a girl"...well, it doesn't really matter too much...but little girls are so sweet." Kade loves babies and babies love Kade. He has been closely following Aunt Kristi's pregnancy from afar. He wonders how big her belly is now remembering the little baby bump she had a couple months ago. He is curious about how the baby grows and moves. He laments not being able to watch Aunt Kristi and see Uncle Kevin as the baby grows. He too has been waiting for today.
Kevin and Kristi watched the 3-D ultrasound, and I know that their hearts were pattering in anticipation and wonder...wonder of this little person that soon would introduce itself into their world. Kevin liked to boss the baby around a bit and remind it who was boss, so they could see the views they wanted.
She complied. He was thrilled. The facade of her listening to her pa will continue for many years. She will blink and smile and he will melt. Only his toughness will exude itself as she grows older and the boys pause to admire her, but that is many years from now.
In the meantime, he will don a pink burp cloth on that giant shoulder and those calloused, stained mechanics hands will gentle hold and cuddle that tiny bundle of wonder when she arrives.
Theoretically, that day is December 7. On our grandfather's birthday. Like all girls, though, she will arrive when she is ready...and we won't mind at all...whenever that is.
Parenthood. Congratulations Kevin and Kristi! We love you! We cannot wait to meet your new little girl.
In the meantime, I am waiting, waiting, waiting...today, for pictures.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How exciting! Congrats Kevin and Kristi!
ReplyDeleteLaurie
That's too cool!
ReplyDeleteAWWWWWWWW.
ReplyDeleteA girl. All things pink and sweet. Beautiful entry.
Awwwwww....