Nikela started high school today. I made her step into the backyard...just for a moment to pause under the magnolia tree, so I could take my traditional back to school photo.
Then we were off, navigating the California freeway together this morning enroute to school. It was a bit stressful, and I exited early, but nonetheless we found the school again, and as I pulled up she grabbed her backpack and jumped out. A few moments later I was back in traffic again. She paused to look back at me with a slight wave of the hand. Immediately the tears squeezed out of the corners of my eyes and and ran down my face as I watched that beautiful face turn back away and the silhouette of her slender, tall body with blonde hair walk down the sidewalk towards the school.
It was a quiet morning. She was up early. Smiling. Pausing to chat with me in the kitchen as I created her favorite breakfast...biscuits and gravy. She good-naturedly indulged me a couple snapshots. Composed, quiet...no hint of anxiety though I know inside she had to be apprehensive about walking into a new school where she knows not one, single solitary person except the counselor, Miss Watson. Courageous.
I am so proud of her. It was a just a few years ago that I snapped this photo of my beautiful little girl. First day of kindergarten in Montana.

Forever, she will be my little girl which is why my heart is fluttering today and the tears are quick to pool, as I desperately cling to the hope that her first day of school is manageable, even fun. Hoping someone will smile and introduce themselves. Hoping her teachers sense her shyness and reach out. Hoping...to see her beautiful smile at the end of the day.
How sweet! That was just yesterday in my mind.
ReplyDelete