A few years ago when we were buying a new vehicle, the salesman asked me if I wanted the model with the built-in GPS. I laughed and told him I didn't need one in the middle of Montana...
Another humbling moment. Again...whenever I think I have things under control, I learn otherwise. Today Ron's new GPS arrived. We already own two; however, the older one costs more to update than a new one does...and updates are vitally important--particularly in a new location.
In Big Timber, we would have noticed if a new street was added or if a street was changed to a one way. Even a stoplight would not have escaped notice! This is in sharp contrast to unfamiliar metropolitan areas.
To illustrate the value of a GPS... I remember a trip into the heart of Pittsburgh to the Children's Museum during my first summer. I was still adjusting to using a GPS and my developing proficiency was still handicapped. Anyway, we were downtown in Pittsburgh and I missed my turn. Immediately the GPS rerouted me, but I realized that I was definitely taking the long way around a big park and the neighborhood was changing quickly.
Nikela was sitting in the front seat, and after a few minutes she quietly commented, "Mom I don't think this is where you are supposed to be."
This was easier before the kids could see the reality for themselves, and I could just distract them.
Feebly I respond, "Probably not, but if we follow the instructions more closely this time, we will be okay."
In my head I was so grateful that I didn't need to stop and ask. Evidently my facade was not effective either. Nikela knows exactly how the GPS works and can spot a turn from a distance. She is growing into an excellent navigator. The opportunities abound when one doesn't have faith in their mother!
Now I can navigate downtown Pittsburgh without the GPS. Of course, my ability to occasionally navigate without instructions is being rewarded with a new community to learn.
This little gadget helped me navigate a city that is famous for not being able to "get there from here." I still use a map every time I go somewhere new and always will. I like to have the full picture...not just the four inch screen.
Nonetheless, we are officially city folks with a GPS, but I like to think we still have rural common sense :)
Happy navigating my Flying Ace! Maybe Snoopy just needed a GPS to overcome the Red Baron!
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment